Sport Business Strategy at the University of Findlay is a highly dynamic program focused on hands-on learning.
The sport and event industry continues to grow in all aspects. Sports and entertainment are merging to
create employment opportunities that require business fundamentals along with specialized knowledge.
Entertainment, sporting, and event management are among the second-largest group of employers in the U.S.
and the largest in the world. This area employs two out of every 10 people and accounts for more than seven
percent of the world’s gross national product. Closely allied with the hospitality industries, sport business strategy has become a growing area of interest for many businesses worldwide.
Findlay's sport business strategy students have found careers as a(n):
Hear sport and event management and marketing double-major Colin Emert '19 share his story in the video below. To learn more about Colin's experiences at the University of Findlay, click here
- Pairs well with other subjects - Our program is flexible and pairs well with a number of other subjects, allowing students to individualize their degree to best fit their career goals. Students pursuing the Sport Business Strategy Emphasis have the opportunity to complement their degree with a minor or double-major in other areas of business which include hospitality management, marketing, public relations, and wellness and exercise promotion.
- Gain fundamental and specialized knowledge - This emphasis will provide you with business fundamentals along with specialized knowledge in facility management, intercollegiate sports, event planning, and travel and tourism.
- Valuable Internships - Internships are encouraged throughout the program in order to gain practical experience and professional networking.
- Work on real projects for real clients - With a strong focus on experiential learning, you will have opportunities to build up your resume by working on real projects for real clients.
Courses & Curriculum
At the University of Findlay, we are preparing the next generation of business leaders by providing them with both the foundational skills and in-depth knowledge required to be successful in the world of business. Undergraduate students in the College of Business work towards earning a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in an area of their choosing. A Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an Sport Business Strategy Emphasis from the University of Findlay will
prepare you for employment in the industry through required course work and experiential on-campus learning activities that involve athletics, event management, meeting planning/operations and related opportunities. Click the buttons below to view the courses and curriculum in catalog.
Sport business strategy graduates have found employment at:
- Memphis Grizzlies
- Columbus Clippers
- Cleveland Browns
- Walt Disney Swan & Dolphin Resort
- Professional Golfers' Association (PGA)
- Country Inn & Suites
- Firelands Winery
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- Detroit Tigers Spring Training
- Greater Cleveland Sports Commission
- Dallas Cowboys
- Cedar Point
- ESPN Wide World of Sports
- Sam Houston State Athletic Department
Outside of the Classroom
Sport business strategy students have a variety of hands-on learning opportunities throughout their courses as well as outside of the classroom. Students are provided with resources to land valuable internships off-campus in addition to opportunities to attend national conferences to learn and network with professionals in the field. Here are a few ways our students gain experience at Findlay:
Sport and Event Business Experience Club (SpEC)
Students at the University of Findlay can join student organizations that fit their career goals as well as personal interests. SpEC is a student-run organization with a focus on providing students with networking and experiential learning opportunities related to sport and event industries.
The University of Findlay College of Business Dana Chair/Scholar Program provides business students the opportunity to connect higher education with the real world of business. Dana Scholars are chosen each semester by the College of Business faculty and are recognizes as outstanding students for their academic and leadership skills. Dana Scholars network with and learn from an area business professional who serves as the Dana Chair for the academic year.
The Oiler 10
The Oiler 10 student-run, faculty-mentored marketing and consulting agency, in which students gain authentic hands-on experience by providing support and solutions to real businesses and organizations. The group also has opportunities to travel and learn from agencies and businesses around the country.