The University of Findlay Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs are committed to providing an intellectually stimulating and challenging environment where competency-based education in sonography is focused on the needs of the patient and intended to produce skilled professionals of the highest caliber.
The sonography profession requires the ability to provide diagnostic sonographic imaging while utilizing critical thinking skills to make judgments in the process. Sonographers are professionals who must possess high-level skills in diagnostic sonographic techniques under the guidance of a licensed physician. A sonographer is responsible for providing excellent patient care and gathering adequate data necessary for diagnoses to be determined.
The Program’s goal is to prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains and to prepare competent entry-level adult cardiac
sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. Graduates of The University of Findlay Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs will be able to perform, at minimum, the following objectives:
- Obtain, review and integrate pertinent patient data to facilitate optimum diagnostic results.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills during the performance of sonographic procedures to provide optimum diagnostic images.
- Demonstrate the ability to discern sonographic images as they relate to cross-sectional anatomy.
- Perform sonographic procedures appropriately and accurately record all anatomic and physiologic information for interpretation by a physician.
- Document and present complete and accurate sonographic findings to the interpreting physician in order to facilitate patient diagnosis.
- Operate the sonography equipment to produce diagnostic images.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with patients and all members of the healthcare team.
- Provide compassionate patient care and education to promote overall well-being.
- Act in a professional manner within recognized ethical and legal standards.
- Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning.