UF Dining Service, Sodexo, to collect and donate food
On November 5, 2014, The University of Findlay’s dining service, Sodexo, will attempt to break UF's 2013 record of 55,221 pounds of food collected in a 12-hour period. This past year, the drive collected 49,957 pounds of food.
To count toward the goal, all food items must be within the expiration dates and must not be damaged. Each donated item is recorded in a log book and witnessed by community and University representatives. Only food collected on the day of the event counted towards the effort. After the items have been counted and recorded, they are donated to CHOPIN Hall in Findlay, Ohio.
There were multiple collection locations throughout Findlay. On The University of Findlay campus, drive-up and drop-off your food donation in front of the Alumni Memorial Union on Frazer Street between 7:30 am - 7:30 pm, East Side Walmart collected from 11:00 am - 7:00 pm, and on the west side of Findlay, Great Scot Community Market collected from 11:00 am - 7:00 pm.
CHOPIN Hall Top four food items in need: 1) Canned Fruit 2) Peanut Butter 3) Canned Vegetables 4) Canned Soup.
Henderson Dining Hall was the headquarters for the food drive. All the food collected was brought to this location to be inspected, sorted, recorded and packed for delivery to CHOPIN Hall. WFIN will be broadcasting live 9:00 am - 11:00 am, WKXA will be broadcasting live from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm.
To date, The University of Findlay Helping Hands food drive has donated 198,844 pounds of food to CHOPIN Hall.
- 2014 - 49,957 pounds of food collected, second highest total in the history of the event.
2013 - New UF Record set: 55, 221 pounds of food collected within 12 hours!!!
- 2012 - 47,287 pounds of food collected, breaking the previous year's mark.
- 2011 - 37,271 pounds of food collected donated, setting a new high at the time.
- 2010 - The University topped its previous record set just the year before collecting 26,324 pounds.
- 2009 - UF Dining Services finishes first in the nation for the first collecting and donating 17,825 pounds of food to CHOPIN Hall.
- 2008 - With tremendous support from the Findlay community, The University of Findlay ranked third among college campuses nationwide for pounds of food collected (12,641.79 pounds) and doubled its 2007 collection.
- 2007 - The University collected 6544 pounds. At that time, the University was second in the nation among college campuses that participated. All of UF's donations were delivered to CHOPIN (Christians Helping Other People in Need) Hall in Findlay.
- 2006 - The event, Cans Across America (now called Helping Hands Across America), was introduced to all college campuses across the United States. The University of Findlay collected 994 pounds in this first year.